QB64 is an integrated development environment (IDE), developed by Microsoft to type, edit, debug and execute BASIC programs. QBasic uses English like words and mathematical symbols to write programs. Every command or instruction is called a Statement. Statements should be written according to the specific sets of rules of the language, which are called ‘Syntax’.
QB64 is a Qbasic software, which is an updated version of QBasic. It is compatible with Windows as well as Linux operating system.
The stable version of QB64 (QBasic software) was released on April 24, 2013, and was designed and developed by Galleon.
Some advantages of QB64 are as follows:
- It supports files with different formats and provides Clipboard for Reading and Writing. Users can easily copy or paste codes from any document on to QB64 screen and vice-versa.
- Line numbers are not required, and statements are terminated by newlines or by colons (:).
- The new keywords add some new features, such as playing music or sound files, and instant access to 32bit graphics file images.
If you are a beginner and haven’t set-up your computer with the QB64 software, you can check this post on “How to Download and Install QB64 in windows 10 and windows 7”. Follow the instructions in the post and download QBasic in your pc.
If you don’t want to download or install qb64 software on your computer, then you can use the online editor and compilers. Check “Free QB64 online editors/compilers”
STEPS TO WRITE A PROGRAM IN QB64
As a beginner, most of you might wonder “how to write a program?” So here in this section, we will go through the steps to write a simple qb64/qbasic program for beginners.
Step 1: If you have followed the link above on how to download and install the software, then you will get an icon on your desktop. Double-click on the QB64 icon to start it.
Step 2: The window will appear.
Step 3: Type the program, as shown below. It will just “hello world” on your screen.
PRINT “Hello World”
Once you are done with the program, we will save it in our computer.
SAVE QBASIC PROGRAM IN PC
Follow the step on “How to save a QBasic program on your computer”.
- Click on the File menu and select the Save As option.
- Give a meaningful name to your program in the File Name: text box and press Enter key. The file will be saved with the extension .bas.
RUN A QBASIC PROGRAM
After writing and saving your QBasic program, let’s learn “How to Run a QBasic Program”. To see the output of a program, you need to run the program.
There are two ways to run a program:
- By pressing the F5 key.
- By selecting the Run menu and clicking the Start option.
EXIT AND OPEN QB64 PROGRAM
- To exit the window, click on the File > Exit.
- To open an existing program, press Alt + F key. The file menu will open.
- Highlight the Open command from the displayed options and press Enter.
- Select the program file from the displayed list and press Enter key.
This is the basics of how to install, write a program and how to save and open QB64 programs.
Next, you can check about QB64 commands and statements, it will help you to understand the concept of programming in QBasic.
FAQ for QB64
Who invented qb64?
QB64 (QBasic software) was released on April 24, 2013, and was designed and developed by Galleon.
How can I download QBasic for free?
Download Qb64 in your Pc for free. Follow the instructions https://programmingbasic.com/download-qb64-for-windows-7-windows-10/
How do I open a qb64?
To open an existing program, press Alt + F key. 1. 1. The file menu will open. 2. Highlight the Open command from the displayed options and press Enter. 3. Select the program file from the displayed list and press Enter key.
How do I save my Qbasic program?
1. Click on the File menu and select the Save As option. 2. Give a meaningful name to your program in the File Name: text box and press Enter key. The file will be saved with the extension .bas.